Please take a few minutes to learn how useKit works – and you will soon benefit by having your data neatly stored and organized on one platform.
Add items to useKit
In a first step, you add anything you like to the useKit platform. There are three easy ways to do that:
1. Paste a URL
The same goes for every URL that contains a pdf, movie, audio file, map, doodle calendar, and more.
useKit allows you to highlight or underline certain words or sentences and structure your text by inserting titles or subtitles. You can edit your texts at any time.
Modify your collected items
Now that we have established the first step – adding items to useKit – let’s move on to the second step: structuring and modifying your items as you see fit. We encourage you to assign a title, description, and Context to every item. This allows you to manage them as efficiently as possible and share them with others.
Comment on your items
By adding comments to your items or those of your friends and colleagues, you can utilize a reminding component for later visits, give your fellow Context users further information, or ask them a question.
The next useKit newsletter will explain how you can make use of Contexts and collect data in the web with the useKit toolbar. We are always happy to assist you in any difficulty you might experience. Please let us know your questions or suggestions and we will get back to you.
Your useKit team
Although there was no large release during the past weeks, we added many small improvements, additional features and bug fixes. The most important features are not that obvious but improved the usability a lot, such as “multi select cut ‘n go”, “Search while you type” or our new Facebook mission.
Improvements on the backend gave again a big boost in speed, special thanks to Nicolas at this point.
The major improvements are:
- Facebook mission
- File upload
- Search while you type
- User image upload
- Preview of uploaded pictures
- Context image
- Many bugfixes and improvements on the backend
Hard work within the last days secured the “July” release to appear in the correct month. As you might have noticed, we try to add new features on a monthly basis. What hopefully nobody notices, there are always many bugs to fix in between, making it usually tough to stay in time. The release of today added some great features that will make useKit even better. It also adds numerous small improvements that will allow users to work more smoothly and that aid the understanding of our concepts.
The main added features are:
- A new “Comment” Mission. It is meant to comment directly on pages or even discuss with others.
- A small “Feedback” button in our bar (left of the search field). Please use it frequently to tell us your opinion.
- The possibility to upload your profile image.
- We now support multiple accounts for Twitter and Delicious. Account information is stored in the platform and can be used out of the bar. This is very helpful for people with more than one Twitter account, since it makes tweeting only two mouse clicks from every place in the web (including url shortening and access to multiple accounts).
- Improved Search.
- We improved our help pages and added a FAQ page.
- We added support for the use of Yahoo! accounts (OAuth) with Delicious.
- We included social share buttons for content.
- We redesigned our “public context page”, including most popular and latest content.
Furthermore, the release includes numerous small improvements and fixes. Please give it a try and tell us what you think. We are always trying to suit the needs of our customers.
Today we released the “June release” of useKit.com. Although it was mainly a bug fixing release, we could add some great features to the useKit platform. Personally I was really looking forward to a small feature that in my opinion is very important: The possibility to write text within useKit. Further we could add two plug-ins (Safari and Chrome) and a mobile version of useKit (useKit.com/mobile) making the usage much more convenient.
Further features are:
- Text Service. Add text that is treated as normal content.
- A mobile version: useKit.com/mobile.
- An improved version of our CrunchBase Mission. Lookup company profiles and people from the CrunchBase database directly from your bar.
- RSS feeds for every Context.
- The ability to create a Context directly from the bar.
- A condensed list view for content.
- Many bugs were fixed and improvements and again, we could increase the loading speed of the bar and platform.
In Germany, there is a saying: “alles neu macht der Mai”, this is true for useKit! With this release we implemented a all new design in order to make the usage more intuitive and more focused on your important content. We also changed our coloring for the same reason. Please tell us if you like or dislike it.
Aside the new design, we also released some new features:
- Mission preferences for translate.
- Highlight Mission. Highlight text on any website and it will be saved to the useKit platform.
- FirebugLight. A tribute to our developers who love this little tool which is now available from the useKit bar.
- We integrated the great functionality of Printliminator.